8/6: clear & in the pink

This afternoon I did some creative scheduling to clear next week of any hard-and-fast obligations. I'm going to enjoy a final week of summer break. Of course, I'll still have some prep work to do here at home, but of a kind I enjoy and can weave into otherwise vacationy days.

It rained for a couple of hours today, which was a good thing, since all the growing things really, really needed it. After dinner it cleared so that I could go for a walk along the ridge. As I made my way I watched the steam rise from the ground and surround me.

It's been awhile since I've done the ridge walk and I was delighted to see--in an all-of-the-sudden kind of way--the pale pink amaryllis belladonna blooming in a neighbor's yard. They're always such a happy surprise.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

I think that's the same as Naked Ladies, is it not? I've been noticing them all around here too, pink blooms on skinny green legs with no leaves.

RR said...

Yes, they're one and the same. I don't consider myself prudish, but I have a hard time calling the flowers "naked ladies"!

Thinking about the name reminded me of this little bit of Neruda: "Tell me, is the rose naked, or is that her only dress?"

Barbara said...

I hadn't heard that one, thanks!