10/28: dead-bolt and dead-end

My door at school has been broken for about a week; the dead-bolt wouldn't go back inside the door once the door was unlocked, so I would have to lock myself in or out every time I wanted to shut the door. And every time I used my key I could feel that something was not-quite-right, that it was only a matter of time before the lock mechanism stopped working altogether. Because it wasn't an emergency it took Physical Plant awhile to look at it, but today it got looked at and fixed, and it feels so smooth to have a functional door again.

Chris had asked the city for a "dead end" sign to go at the bottom of the hill where the main road connects to the smaller road leading up to the houses on our ridge. People don't know it's a dead end when they come up to explore, and since it's not easy to turn around, they end up making a variety of unsafe maneuvers. Recently Chris despaired of the "dead end" sign ever materializing, but when I drove home today there it was, just as I turned to drive up the ridge.

No comments: