3/14: the smell of spring

I walked on the ridge late this afternoon and smelled an amazing smell; I told Chris later that it smelled like a distillation of all of spring. I walked to the source-bush and was happy to see a honey-bee (no doubt one of ours) working the blossoms. Chris and I tracked it down online, and it's a kind of honeysuckle I don't remember having encountered before--lonicera fragrantissima. One of its popular names is "sweet breath of spring" so I guess I'm not the only person who has found these flowers to be an olfactory summary of the season.

2 comments:

Meri M said...

... "You know how some people don't like things about themselves, like their hair, or their eyes or whatever...? Well, I like everything about myself. I like myself." That was the nicest thing I have heard yesterday and the only thing I was hoping to ever hear from my 10-yo daughter.

RR said...

Hello, Meri--and your good thing is just so fantastic! Brava to your daughter, and to you, too, for the way you're helping her on her path!