8/5: vitamin D

My trouble with a pinched nerve over the past months was compounded by a vitamin D deficiency, another thing that made it hard to walk.  By the time I was diagnosed, my D-level was crazy low even though I thought my daily multi-vitamin was insurance against things like that.  I was given a mega-pill to take once a week, and today was the day for my last pill.  I may need to renew my prescription (a blood test in a few weeks will tell), but I won't mind it at all as a maintenance measure; in fact, I'd welcome it.  Vitamin D is an amazing thing--which I wouldn't have realized except the hard way--and I'm so, so, so glad to have enough of it in my body these days.

[And though I'm hesitant to give advice here, I feel like it's important enough to mention explicitly:  next time you go to the doctor, it might be worth getting your vitamin D checked just in case.  The level slips gradually, and you just feel more and more tired and run down until one day it's not easy to walk across the room or stand up straight.  Believe me, dear blog friends, I wouldn't want that to happen to you.  End of the public service announcement.]

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Hey Rebecca - Low D is also associated with breast cancer. Numbers in the 20s-40s are considered good, but cancer researchers are suggesting 60s. Fifteen minutes of sunshine daily is useful too. End of the public service announcement.

RR said...

Hi, Barbara, and thanks for the info--another reason to love the D! It's been easy to get some regular sun-time in over the summer; I'll have to be more intentional about it once teaching begins. But I'm highly motivated!