4/9: at the end the day

I got caught up on some grading.  I fell behind at the beginning of the week, but now I'm going to end the week in a better place.  It meant working an hour later than I wanted to this evening, but I think it was worth it.

Before stepping away from the computer for the night I was poking around in Anna Comstock's How to Keep Bees.  And I found this:
"One privilege that was always granted to us children on this day was that of having 'our fingers made.' As the wax was cooling the finger was dipped in it, and the film was cooled while the finger was held very still; then the film was slipped off, a crucial point in the process, and used as a mould into which was poured the cooling wax; and presto! there was the finger as natural as life to every crease and wrinkle, but with a death-like pallor that rendered the row of fingers thus made a fascinatingly gruesome collection, as if they had been chopped off with a hatchet."
I recognize the practice (I loved doing something similar as a child with candle wax), but I am so struck by the description and simile at the passage's end!

No comments: