10/26: some student-related things

One of my students in Myth last week queried the description of Persephone as "slender-ankled."  It got me thinking about feet and movement in the Homeric Hymn to Demeter over the past few days, and today I followed up and shared my thoughts with the class.  It ended up being kind of relevant to an image we discussed at the start of class, a 2017 etching by Marian Maguire of Demeter and Persephone (visible here).  The students seemed to dig into this image, and that felt good.  I only recently came across it, and I was excited to show it to them.  We then discussed the Homeric Hymn to Aphrodite and the Homeric Hymn to Hermes, and that went well:  I think the poems have been a good change of pace.

Last Tuesday I visited a colleague's class to do an upcycled notebook activity with her first-year students.  Today one of them came by to follow up with me about it and tell me how much she enjoyed it.  Another one told my colleague that she was also grateful for it, though she realized that she might not have registered the gratitude fully in the moment.  That seemed like a very thoughtful, self-aware thing for someone to say, and I was grateful to my colleague for passing it along to me.

No comments: