10/1: reading a sonnet

...or rather two sonnets by Edmund Spenser.  I came across one of them--Sonnet 28--earlier in the week when I was looking at Daphne-related poems and art.  I wanted to think more about it today, and I decided to see what the surrounding sonnets were like.  It turns out that Sonnet 28 sets up Sonnet 29 so it's important to look at them together.  Taking them as a pair changes my view of Sonnet 28 in a way that I'm glad for.

And another good thing, of a different sort, for the day.  Chris grew a watermelon this summer.  He thought he was planting a vine for gourds, but it was a melon vine instead, and it yielded a sole, small fruit.  Today he muddled some of the fruit and added gin to make a little drink for each of us.  I'm not a fan of watermelon in general, but this watermelon in some Ethereal Gin was wonderful.

No comments: