11/22: reinvigorated

For the past few months I've been uncertain about what new big projects I wanted to take on at school or in my research. I thought it might be good to give myself some downtime because I've not really had any gaps between undertakings since 1994. That may have been the right thing to do, but I nevertheless ended up feeling uneasy during the downtime. Now I'm ready to move forward: in the course of the past few days my mind has turned fully on with a range of new ideas, and I've made a list of cool things to rotate onto my plate. They include: resuming and expanding my work on Trollope and Classics, forming a project (for myself and a small team of students) which would analyze old illustrations for Ovid's Metamorphoses, exploring the possibility of participating in a summer intensive letterpress course, and developing a program which would allow faculty and students from my school to spend 10 days each summer researching at the Newberry Library in Chicago or the British Library in London. I'm excited about trying to make all of these things real!

4 comments:

elaine said...

2 y.o. marla comes to my door everyday calling out my name.. that i can enjoy it again affirms that i am well on my way to a full recovery and joining the rhythms of life again

RR said...

I'm glad that she comes, and I'm glad you can take delight in it, Elaine!

Barbara said...

Oh, how exciting! Good luck going forward.

RR said...

Thanks, Barbara, I am really eager to get some of these things going.