12/14: home stretch & movie at home

My beginning Latin class had its final exam this morning, and while they were taking their test I finished up the grading for my Greek class. This afternoon I got started on marking the Latin exams, and tomorrow I should finish them without too much trouble. Then there are only a handful of research papers to read--and the semester will be done! Teaching is good; resting from teaching is also good.

I got a head start on resting this evening by watching the BBC dramatization of Mansfield Park, which is my favorite Austen novel. The film versions are never as good as the books, but I always enjoy seeing what choices the screenwriters and directors made, and Chris watched this one with me, so that was an extra pleasure.

3 comments:

msbillm said...

I received a very nice postcard from a lovely lady in Arkansas. Always a plus!

Barbara said...

A young friend of mine - turned 40 in August - is dying of breast cancer and my heart is breaking. I need to remember the many good things that are still alive and well in my little world.

Today I received FOUR postcrossing.com postcards - from Canada, Michigan, Brazil and Switzerland. The woman from Canada wants to be a postcard penpal - a new friend. Earlier in the day I received from Amazon the little book, ALWAYS FIRST CLASS, by Lois Barry, about the fading art of writing letters.

By coincidence, I am listening to the audio version of MANSFIELD PARK this week. It's actually a new read for me.

And books, yes books. Today, at the public library, the librarian politely informed me that I had an overdue book. "I could have sworn I returned that last week," I said. "Is there any way you can check?" She said she could go to the shelf. She did and it WAS THERE!!!! It's like getting a get-out-of-jail-free card....

RR said...

Hello, Barbara, and I hope you'll enjoy Mansfield Park!

But--oh my goodness--I am SO sorry to read the news about your friend. Warm thoughts and virtual hugs to both of you....