1/30: two little delights

I wrote a letter with a fountain pen today. I used to use a fountain pen a lot--back when I also used to write letters a lot. It was a tactile pleasure to hold it in my hand and feel the ink glide across the paper.

After dinner we were hankering for a sweet. (We seem to be hankering for sweets a lot these days, especially me.) Chris suggested we make a cake. When we were done mixing the batter and were just about to pour it into the pan, Chris said we should bake it right in the bowl. (It was a Pyrex bowl; no worries about oven-safeness.) So we did. It's hilarious to scoop a helping of cake out of a bowl.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

The guy's a genius, that has never occurred to me in my last 100 years of baking!

RR said...

Now that we've done it, it seems obvious, but it had never ever crossed my mind before, and it made me laugh out loud when Chris suggested it.

The baking time was hard to gauge, though; it cooked less evenly in a bowl than in a traditional pan.