5/17: classics, classics everywhere

I thought I was in better health today, but by mid-afternoon I needed to retreat to my bed. I had more Hawthorne to read so I didn't (so much) mind. And near the end of The House of the Seven Gables Hawthorne uses a classical allusion (about the Aeneid's golden bough) to marvellous effect. It makes me want to re-read the book from the beginning to see if the other classical allusions in the novel are similarly productive. What a pleasure to stumble on and think about.

2 comments:

elaine said...

the beautiful pink and lavender hydrangeas at the flower market.
hope you feel better rebbeca

Meri said...

... doesn't it just make you want to write like that...?
Mine was: giving a gentle back massage to my little girl who was giving a back massage to her big sister just before sleep...