12/21: solstice

I'm glad when the winter solstice rolls around each year; it's nice to know that the days will start to get longer soon.

My solstice festiveness was somewhat fettered today: early this morning I got up to watch the lunar eclipse, but the cloud cover was so thick that I couldn't see anything; this evening I went down to the lake to watch the sunset, but one of our neighbors must have put a new lock on the gate without telling the rest of us the new combination so I couldn't get in. I feel like my day has been book-ended with these little vexations.

But there were some good things:
- It was a balmy, sunny day. After needing a hat, scarf, and gloves last week, it was funny not to need even a coat today!
- The bees were flying, and they enjoyed sipping up 3 jars' worth of honey which we poured out for them.
- I had some moments of insight about Hawthorne (a welcome development, since I soon need to start writing my Hawthorne paper for a conference in early January).
- A great blue heron flew overhead twice as I was standing outside the gate to the lake, watching the bright sky and the glorious lit-up water.
- Despite my frustration at not being able to get to the dock, it felt good to be so energized by a sunset.

Here are two digitally altered versions of a photo I took this evening. It was this amazing sky, as seen through the trees outside our house, that made me run down to the lake as the sun was slipping away....

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Here I am your opposite. I wait for the summer solstice and rejoice that each day is getting shorter and darker! I love winter, especially winters in which the weather is actually doing something but it's all warm and cozy indoors.

RR said...

I think I used to be the opposite of myself, too! But at some point something in me switched--maybe it was one too many winters spent in upstate NY?