12/26: a sensory memory

As I got ready to go for my walk this afternoon, I took my flannel-lined chinos out of the dryer so that I could wear them. They were still warm. When I put them on, it triggered a memory: when we were little we would put our outdoor winter clothes in the dryer in the morning to heat them up before heading off to the bus-stop. That way, we'd have a little pocket of warmth around us as we walked out into the chilly day. It wasn't nearly as cold today as it was on those Pennsylvania mornings of the past, but it was still nice to have an envelope of recent warmth around me, and it was a nice to feel the memory.

4 comments:

Annie said...

My good thing of today was finding this blog. Sometimes I need help to focus on the good things in life, and reading through this blog helped me a lot today. So thank you for that!

RR said...

Hello, Annie--I'm glad you stopped by!

Barbara said...

When clients tell me a story from the past and they bring in some physical aspect of the memory it signals to me that they are working on a very deep level. They've moved away from casual reporting into something connected to their very selves.

RR said...

Those multi-sense memories feel so very embedded...."on a very deep level" indeed.