12/9: fowl familiarity

I didn't grow up around chickens, but I've been fond of them--from a distance--because I associate them with Greece and Italy, where I often saw them outside country houses.

Chris is gearing up for our getting chickens this spring, and he's been helping to take care of the campus chickens this fall. I've gone with him a couple of times, and today I really wanted to check in on them because I kind of missed seeing them. I'm getting fonder of them--from closer than a distance--and I think that's a good sign.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I'm glad we have chickens & acknowledge that they've added to our lives providing both food and entertainment.

The one thing I wasn't totally prepared for is how really, really messy they are! It takes effort to keep their digs clean and tidy. They are fastidious about the condition of the nest boxes so that part is OK, but the section under the roost and the ground in the pen, those are difficult to keep clean. I hose out the roost side a couple times a week and I rake the ground often. Other than that, they are a lot easier than dogs. Chickens are also smarter than folks generally give credit for and definitely amusing.

RR said...

It's been good to read about your chicken experiences on your blog, Barbara; it makes it feel real. I'm sure I'll have questions for you once we actually get some girls of our own!